Essential oils are perfect for skin care and there is an essential oil for any skin type and skin issue. In this blog, we will look at the best essential oils for dry skin and how to use to ease dry hands.
Aromatherapy is actually very effective for nourishing dry skin. Essential oils are the volatile oils derived from plant material usually by distillation. They are highly fragrant, concentrated and get results. We never use them neat on the skin but mix and dilute them with carrier oils such as almond, coconut, rosehip seed oil or with lotion, shower gel or bath product.
why use essential oils on the skin?
They are the perfect nourishment. They are also antimicrobial, antibacterial and some even antifungal. They hydrate and soothe the skin.
the top 9 essential oils for dry skin
1. Chamomile is one of the best anti-inflammatory essential oils. It is super soothing nourishing and calming. If your dry skin is accompanied with sensitivity this is the perfect fit.
2. Frankincense has been used in skin care since the ancient Egyptians. They used it for mummification as frankincense preserves flesh. In skin care, it is highly regarded for cellular regeneration and to even out your skin tone.
3. Rose is such a beautiful fragrance and very feminine. It's brilliant for skin care as it soothes, calms and balances. You often see a combination of rose, frankincense and geranium for balancing the skin and our spirit.
4. Geranium is the perfect balancer. It balances the skin, our hormones and our mood. It is slightly astringent and tones the skin. Being anti-inflammatory it soothes the skin and minimises redness.
5. Lavender is another balancer for body, mind and our skin. Extremely calming and soothing.
6. Myrrh is a fantastic anti-ageing essential oil. It is protecting, has anti antioxidant properties and may help protect against UV damage while reducing fine lines and wrinkles and supporting youthful skin. It is also used for scaring.
7. Sandalwood is extremely calming for our skin and our minds. This is perfect for dry irritated and inflamed skin.
8. Helichrysum is known for its potential anti-ageing and scar reducing benefits. It is hydrating for the skin. There’s also the potential benefit for it to help block UV damage to the skin.
9. Carrot seed is another fabulous oil. However, it's more of a carrier oil rather than an essential oil. It has a wonderful colour that gives our skin a healthy glow. Carrot seed oil is very moisturising for the skin.
You can make a mix of any of the oils above. Or if easier, grab some Yogandha Relax. It is an oil you can use for all over skin care. We love it as a face oil as well as a body oil. We even use it in the shower.
As we are all washing hands very often at the moment, put a bottle of Yogandha Relax beside where you usually wash your hands and every time you wash, use it immediately after - rub all over as you do for washing. Not only will it prevent your hands from drying, but you will benefit from its ant-microbial and immune-boosting properties - never more needed!